Dear Yahoo!:

How can I obtain dual citizenship?


Dear Anonymous:

Dual citizenship (or “dual nationality”) means you’re a citizen of two countries at the same time. Unfortunately, like most governmental procedures, it’s far from simple.

The U.S. State Department’s page on dual nationality answered most of our questions. Basically, there are several ways an American can obtain dual citizenship. Marriage and naturalization appear to be the main two.

A naturalized citizen is someone who was foreign born but has since been granted full citizenship in their country of residence. It’s worth noting that the State Department mentions “a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship.” However, near as we can tell, that’s the exception rather than the rule.

This unofficial FAQ on dual citizenship covers all the issues, including how to obtain dual citizenship.

If you have…became a citizen of another country after already having U.S. citizenship, and the other country in question does not have any laws or regulations requiring you to formally renounce your U.S. citizenship…then current U.S. law unambiguously assures your right to keep both citizenships for life.

Before seeking dual citizenship, we suggest you get all the facts from a government official. Once you see the all paperwork involved, you may realize one country’s enough.